Re: Cannot retrieve encrypted datas.

Hi,

are you sure there is a luks Header in the image file?

Let's try a cryptsetup luksDump /dev/looop0 - to check if there is a luks header and if it is intact first.

Regards

-Sven

Passage des Crayons schrieb:
Hello,

despite my many researches and questions on various forums. I cannot retrieve datas from an encrypted user.img file for which i have the user.key . These files come from an opensuse linux 10.3 where i had a user with an encrypted directory mounted during login with a /home/user.img and a /home/user.key in the /home/user directory.

It suddenly became inaccessible. I dont know the reason why.

Maybe i had too much data on it.
Maybe because i made an hazardous pam_mount update from an unofficial repository. I rolled back to the official version of pam_mount with no joy. Maybe because i used the suse tool to modify the user encrypted directory's size. I don't know why.

But i still have the user.img and the user.key . And i know the user's password. So i tried many times, on opensuse 10.3 and on opensuse 11.1 to open the user.img with the user.key, without any success. I have a copy of the user.img and user.key on a dvd. And i copied these files on the opensuse 11.1 partition.
What i do is :

losetup /dev/loop0 /path/to/user.img
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/loop0 /path/to/userDirectory

It asks for a passphrase and i enter the user's password (is it what cryptosetup wants ?). It asks 3 times for it and i get a :

Command failed: No key available with this passphrase.

So i try this :

cryptsetup -d /path/to/user.key luksOpen /dev/loop0 /path/to/userDirectory

and i get this :

Command failed: No key available with this passphrase.

And i am stuck at this point.
I would appreciate any help for that, because these lost datas are useful...

Thanks for your help.