Re: Random fill

Because the point of filling with random data is to eliminate the possibility
of being able to tell where real data is stored.

If the random data is cracked by using a known plaintext attack, then the
benefit of having this random data is nullified.

Kerckhoff's principle should be called Kerckhoff's Ideal, as it is ideal, but
doesn't mean that AES matches that ideal. If AES was guaranteed to meet that
ideal, then there would be no point in pre-filling in with random data. Since
we cannot be guaranteed that AES matches Kerckhoff's ideal, it is safer to
eliminate as many avenues of attack as we can, as some of those avenues may be
vulnerable ones for AES for all we know.

Sam