Re: Random fill

At Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:07:22 +0200,
Rick Moritz wrote:

> > Btw: why do you want to overwrite the entire partition? In my eyes, this is
> > some kind of rocket science and makes no sense, considering Kerckhoff's law.

> It is useful to create random data on the partition in order to hide which
> sectors contain encrypted data and which don't - this makes attacks much harder.

In my opinion, if the encryption is considered secure it doesn't mind if the attacker is
able to distinguish the ciphertext from the rest or not. The logical
consequence of this would be that "wiping" a disk by writing random data on it is
nothing but a complete waste of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerckhoffs%27_principle