Re: reinstallation

Your problem is then with your Linux installation.

I would be guessing that your device mapper is not setup properly, or best
case is simply not loaded by default for some reason.

Try this as root:

modprobe dm_mod

That will load the device mapper module (driver) and should be enough.

Then try your luksOpen command again.

If you get the same errror, then try also all of these in addition to the
dm_mod:

modprobe crypto_blkcipher
modprobe cbc
modprobe dm_crypt
modprobe aes_generic
modprobe aes_i586

Some of these might fail with an error, but that could be just that they are
already built into your kernel (and thus are permanently loaded -- that is
okay).

Now try the luksOpen again. If it still doesn't work, then I do not know.
However, it really should have worked by now at least.

If it did work: note that you will need to add these commands to your
/etc/init.d/boot.local file (just add them to the end just like you typed them
in the terminal). This will cause them to be loaded upon startup each time.

Hope that helps.

Sam