Re: dm-crypt plain sector IV is limited by 32 bits

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:51:48 +0200, Clemens Fruhwirth wrote:

>On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Sarah Dean<sdean12@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:04:42 +0200, Clemens Fruhwirth wrote:
>>>If the former is the case, we can rule out that there
>>>existing installations and go ahead with that. If it's the latter
>>>case, we can not change the semantics of an existing keyword, as this
>>>would corrupt people's data after the 2TB boundary.
>>
>> i.e. plain and plain64 instead of plain32 and plain
>>
>> Sounds reasonable as long as it's clearly documented, which shouldn't
>> be a problem.
>
>No, we can not change defaults for encryption, neither on the
>kernel<->userland interface nor any command-line defaults for
>cryptsetup. There is nothing that prevents data corruption in that
>area and you might never now what combinations are used in the wild.
>
>Also if we accept the hypothesis that all users read the documentation
>properly, I suggest we put "do not use the plain iv-mode" in there.
>
>Btw: what are the actual problems associated with IV/tweak reuse on XTR?

I'm not sure I follow you; how would adding plain64 would cause
problems for anyone?

It doesn't exist atm, so how any it cause data corruption - unless it's
added, and people using volumes > 2TB switch to it without
understanding what impact changing to it has - in which case surely it
would be sensible to document its effect?!

--
Sarah Dean
FreeOTFE site: http://www.FreeOTFE.org/

For information on SecureTrayUtil, Shredders, On-The-Fly Encryption
(OTFE) systems, etc, see the URLs above.