Re: cryptsetup and data-alignment

Hi Roscoe,

let me quote from the man page (which of course could be wrong):

       --align-payload=value
              Align  payload  at  a  boundary  of value 512-byte sectors.
This
              option is relevant for luksFormat.  If your block  device
lives
              on  a  RAID, it is useful to align the filesystem at full
stripe
              boundaries so it can take advantage of the RAID's geometry.
See
              for instance the sunit and swidth options in the mkfs.xfs
manual
              page. By default, the payload is aligned at an  8  sector
(4096
              byte) boundary.
----

If it is meant to align payload for raid devices it would be really fatal
if it modifies the value and thus data is not aligned. As far as I
understand it, luks will need at least 8 sectors (4KB) for the header
data. Sine I specificly demanded 2048 sectors (1MB) the value for the
offet should be no problem at all. Further investigation showed, that (my
impression) cryptsetup uses the underlying blockdevice's readahead, which
is certainly the wrong way to determine the payload offset value.

Regards

-Sven