Re: Some issues with supplying my own key data...

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 8:17 AM, <Sadako@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> With XTS, If I provide a key in hex to cryptsetup with "-h plain", only
> half the key bits seem to be used.
> For example, if I specify "-s 256", I get the same results by supplying a
> 128-bit key as I do when supplying the expected 256-bit key, I need to
> supply a key of less than 128 bits to see any difference.
> Same when specifying "-s 512", all key sizes of 256 bits and above yeild
> the same result.
> It works as expected with CBC, and I'm not so sure about LRW.

XTS requires two keys, eg: if you specify 256bit then each key will be
128bit, see:
http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=modes-of-operation

> The second issue I've come across is, when supplying binary (rather than
> hex) key material, using "--key-file=-" to read the data from stdin, it
> doesn't error out if not enough data can be read, unlike when supplying an
> actual file to --key-file.
> For example, if you have a file (say "/tmp/foo") with 128 bits of random
> data, and run `cryptsetup -c aes-xts-benbi -s 256 --key-file=/tmp/foo
> create loop /dev/loop0`, it errors out with "Command failed: Key
> processing error: Could not read 32 bytes from key file", however if you
> run `cat /tmp/foo | cryptsetup -c aes-xts-benbi -s 256 --key-file=- create
> loop /dev/loop0`, it works when it shouldn't.
>
> Also, even when you do supply a key file of the required size, you get
> different results with `cat /tmp/foo | cryptsetup --key-file=-` than you
> do with `cryptsetup --key-file=/tmp/foo`...

I'm not familar with keyfiles, but I'd be looking at the source code
to see how they are treated differently.
(perhaps at http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=en&sa=N&cd=1&ct=rc#XUHSqiyZS4s/trunk/lib/utils.c&q=key-file%20package:http://cryptsetup\.googlecode\.com&l=344)

-- Roscoe