Re: SHA-1 collisions

I don't see the issue. Collisions are unusable when somebody
else does the hash. Collisions only help when you do both, e.g.
create something with a hash that collides and then have one sign
by some organization and use the other for the attack.

As an example say you have A = "I am honest <something>" and
B = "I am a criminal <something>" with a hash collision.
Then you have a CA give you a certificate for A and you can use
that to put B into a modified version. Then B would be a valid
certificate that the CA never saw or signed.

Consequentially, you should note that SHA1 is used in LUKS for the
AF splitter, i.e. it would need to be reversed to have any effect,
a collision will not help at all. SHA1 is also used in an iterated
fashion, making any attack much, much harder.

SHA1 is also used in PBKDF2, but again in an iterated fashion and
in a way that would require an attacker to reverse it. Collisions
do not help.

I would say no relevance at all now and unless somebody manages to
reverse SHA1 with very, very  low effort, no relevance for the future.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----