Question regarding luksKillSlot/luksRemoveKey and duplicate keys

First I would like to thank you all for the efforts that you have put into disk encryption. It is really a pleasure to use!

Here my scenario (using cryptsetup 1.0.6 in Ubuntu 9.04):

luksAddKey allows to add the same key (e.g. "abc") twice in different slots.

luksDump output:

Key Slot 0: ENABLED
Key Slot 1: ENABLED

luksRemoveKey: Fails since all passphrases are equal

root@asus:~# cryptsetup luksRemoveKey /dev/sdb1
Enter LUKS passphrase to be deleted:
key slot 0 selected for deletion.
Enter any remaining LUKS passphrase:
No remaining key available with this passphrase.
Command failed.

luksKillSlot: Allows me to purge a specific slot

root@asus:~# cryptsetup luksKillSlot /dev/sdb1 1
Enter any remaining LUKS passphrase:
key slot 1 verified.
Command successful.

Is this the desired behavior of luksRemoveKey in case of duplicate keys?

In both cases cryptsetup asks the same question "Enter any remaining LUKS passphrase:".

In one case the passphrase is accepted ("luksKillSlot"), in the other case ("luksRemoveKey") it is rejected.

Why wasn't the original interface sufficient that only knew luksAddKey and luksDelKey? I couldn't find anything useful on this topic using Google.

Regards, Peter.