Steve

From: Arno Wagner <arno@... <http://gmane.org/get-address.php?address=arno%2dJoEyUyqlpX17tPAFqOLdPg%40public.gmane.org>> Subject: Re: growing physical volumes that are encrypted? <http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c20090308012003.GB28601%40tik.ee.ethz.ch%3e> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel.device-mapper.dm-crypt <http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.device%2dmapper.dm%2dcrypt>
Date: 2009-03-08 01:20:03 GMT (17 hours and 33 minutes ago)
On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 02:24:11PM -0600, Steve Costaras wrote:
> > I change out drives often for various reasons (failure, capacity > expansion, et al). The idea came up to encrypt all data on the drives > to mitigate the possibility that when drives leave there is anything on > them that is usable. > > The issue at hand is how does (if at all) dmcrypt will support expansion > of block devices. Basically, all drives are attached to hardware raid > controllers. Those controllers present to the OS large volumes (say > 10TB+) for each 'drive' that dmcrypt would see. This then would get > put into lvm2 to be carved up as needed. Functionally when we > outgrow a technology (say 1TB drives with 2TB ones) we would swap out > the drives in the array. This would make a 10TB 'disk' appear as a > 20TB disk to dmcrypt. If I use this to encrypt each volume would > dmcrypt be able to expand to the non-encrypted space or will it just > flake out when it sees that the drive it's trying to encrypt has changed > size?

Well, dm-crypt does not care about device size. It en-/de-crypts one device with the passphrase given. As dm-crypt has no metadate, the actual device size is not and cannot be stored anywere. It
is also entirely immaterial for its operation.

As far as I remember, the same is true for LUKS. Take care,
however, that there are plans to implement a LUKS header copy backup at the end of the device.
Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
arno@... <http://gmane.org/get-address.php?address=arno%2dJoEyUyqlpX2WDMOabwocfg%40public.gmane.org>e GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F

If it's in the news, don't worry about it. The very definition of "news" is "something that hardly ever happens." -- Bruce Schneier