Re: DMCrypt maximum block size

Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon@...> writes:

> Hi,
>
>    I have used dmcrypt+luks before on my laptop and really like it, but
> now I am contemplating using it on a very large server, around 16TB
> single block device and was wondering if dmcrypt has any limit on the
> size of a block device that it can be used on, as I know ext3 wouldn't
> work on a block this large, it would only go to 8TB if I recall correctly.

I believe that since dmcrypt uses the device mapper system, than whatever
limitations that has, would be the limitations dmcrypt has.  Since device mapper
doesn't actually make the file system on the block device, I would believe your
maximum size of a single block device would still be limited to whatever file
system you use on the device that was created through device mapper.

> ps. Not sure if this is the right place to mention but
> http://luks.endorphin.org/dm-crypt appears down for me...

I believe everything on that site has been moved to:
http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/

-Bill