Re: one password, multiple encrypted partitions

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 06:22:46PM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I am interested in encrypting some, but not all, of my partitions.  If I
> use the same pass-phrase for each partition, will I only have to answer
> one prompt to unlock all of them?

Only if you write a wrapper that does all the individual calls
per partition with this one passphrase.

> Actually, when and how do I have to supply the pass-phrase?

Whne you call cryptsetup.

> I've
> encrypted the whole disk before, and I get prompted at boot time.
> http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=HOWTO makes it sound as
> if the story is the same for partitions, at least if I
> configure /etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab a certain way.

Depends on your distro, I guess. Behind the stage, there is allways
a call to cryptsetup (or equivalend direct decive-mapper operations).
The question at boot time is just a wrapper-script.

What potential automatisation is already in place depends on
your distribution.

To give you an idea how cryptsetup works: In order
to set-up /dev/sda5 with passphrase "abcd", and the
decrypted device mappet to /dev/mapper c5, and mounted
on /mnt do the following:

  prompt> cryptsetup create c5 /dev/sda5
  <asks interactively for passphrase>
  ptompt> mount /dev/mapper/c5 /mnt

You can also pipe in the passphrase:

  echo "abcd" |  cryptsetup create c5 /dev/sda5

You shouold not do this on the prompt except for experiments.
The problem is thet the passphrase will end up in the shell
history and likely on disk. Not good.

In any case the passphrase will end up in memory, but there is
not really a lot that can be done about it. The usual hope is that
the input/file buffers will be overwritten pretty fast anyways.
The second thong is that getting it from memory would likely
require root access and that people with root access can simply
install a backdoor and wait for you to enter your passphrase....

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----