Re: Cascading LUKS devices

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 03:18:52PM +0100, Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to LUKS and I wonder if it makes sense to cascade LUKS devices
> with different ciphers, i.e. a Serpent over an AES over a Twofish
> device. The idea is if one of the ciphers is broken in the future, the
> data is still secure as long as the other ciphers are good. Does this
> work

You can to it by mapping the dectrypted device again as
encrypted, i.e. if /dev/x is your encrypded device and /dev/mapper/y
the decrypted one, use /dev/mapper/y as encrypted device and
set-up[ /dev/mapper/z ad decrypted for that. This is possible
as LUKS/dm-crypt does not care about filesystems. You can have an
arbitraty number of layers that way. (Actually I think the mapper
devices are limited to 31 or 255.)

> and really increase security? Or does it decrease security in the
> end?

That is a good question and very hard to answer. It is also
not the right way to do it. The right way is to use several
ciphers in stream mode and then to combine the streams using XOR.
This is at least as secure as the most secure cipher used
(as long as the leys are independent) and likely better.
Layering encryption can decrease security, however not
below the level of a known-plaintext attack. Modern ciphers
are expected to be able to resist such an attack and the
decrease in security may be insubstantial.

Personally I think that if AES gets broken, the world has
far bigger problems than looking at your data.

If you choose to do this anyways, I would propose that
you use the best cipher closest to the date, e.g. encrypt
with AES first and then with Twofish.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx