Re: harddrive I/O error, badblocks

At Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:19:28 +0200,
Marwin M. Butcher wrote:

> if there are I/O errors on an encrypted partition, one or two bad blocks
> for example, is the whole data on this partition lost or, in worst case
> just a few files?
>
> Generally, makes it a difference if the bad blocks lies in the range of
> an encrpypted or uncrypted partition (in terms of more data is lost in
> the first case)?

If it's not the header, you are fine. If it's LUKS header (that means
either the first 2kb or in a used key material section) your disk
becomes nothing more than a nice fast replacement for
/dev/urandom. Meta data redundancy is planned for the next revision of
LUKS. Unfortunately, working on my encryption stuff has no priority at
all for me.
--
Fruhwirth Clemens - http://clemens.endorphin.org