luksClose: what does it do?

I'm concerned about the security of my data (obviously or I wouldn't be here),
but I don't understand what happens to keys when I close the volume. I am
using Ubuntu with cryptsetup. I use the command "sudo cryptsetup
luksOpen /BLOCK/DEVICE encrypt && sudo
mount /dev/mapper/encrypt /mount/location". I'm not really sure what these
commands do, but more specifically what the closing command: "sudo
umount /mount/location && sudo cryptsetup lukClose /dev/mapper/encrypt".

I believe that luksOpen just decrypts a header that has the actual random
encryption key and volume info. It then creates a new device that basically
tells the system that decryption is needed before anything can be
read/written.
That all seems very straight foreward, but what happens when it closes? Does
it do more than delete /dev/mapper/encrypt? I would hope that it writes over
the key in memory. Is that right? If not, is there some way to make sure that
the key is wiped?

Thanks,
Justin Brown
justin.brown1.1@xxxxxxxxx