Re: Any way to integrate Microsoft PKI into dm-crypt?

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 23:42:13 Thomas Cameron (Red Hat) wrote:
> All -
>
> I have been asked if there is a way to incorporate Microsoft's PKI with
> dm-crypt.  The story here is that with Microsoft's disk encryption, you
> can decrypt a directory using an organization key.  An example is  when
> an employee leaves and does not tell anyone what his/her passphrase was.

I'm not sure if I get your question. There is no native support from
Microsoft's PKI to dmcrypt and the other way.

If you need a backup key for your disk encryption, you can backup the key.
This is merely an organisational process.

dm-crypt is a device encryption, EFS is based on files and directories. This
is a different. If you would like to have features like EFS in Linux mayby
eCryptfs (http://ecryptfs.sourceforge.net/) is the right thing for you.
dm-crypt doesn't support x509, but you can use the certificates to encrypt
the used key.

> I know with LUKS it's easy to set up multiple passwords.  But is there a
> way to use an x509 certificate to set up access?

Not direct, but you can use e.g. openssl to encrypt/decrypt a key with a x509
certificate and use this key for luks or native dm-crpyt.

wof