temporarily forgetting a key

Hi,

Firstly, thanks to ALL who have given us this excellent software!

I currently use dm-crypt with LUKS to protect the data drive on my
laptop.  I don't use encrypted root.  Mostly I keep my business files,
backups, personal files and vmware images on it.  What I would like to
able to do is to have the kernel keystore 'forget' my key when I ask it
to without unmounting the drives.  The mapped devices could simply block
on all I/O from that point on.

The rationale is to be able to ditch the key whenever I suspend, lock my
X session, or even just when I pull out my smartcard.  Any app that
times out its I/O might be unhappy with this, but I would be happy to do
something like

lsof -t /mnt/mtpoint |xargs kill -STOP

first (I am the only user, as is often the case in laptops for which
disk encryption is primarily designed).  Amarok, nautilus, emacs, shells
and even VMWare seem fine with this (though I might do 'vmrun suspend'
for that one).  In this way I truly "take my key with me" when I walk
away.  I know that kernel buffers etc would be a vulnerability, but a
thief couldn't just go spelunking through my crypto mounted drive.  And
when I walk back to my machine, I type in my key and my work continues
uninterrupted.

Every little thing helps where security is concerned.

Also, when you do a luksClose or remove, is the key in memory
zeroed/shredded?

thanks again

-adam