Re: Hidden volumes

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 03:58:03PM +0200, Ma Begaj wrote:
> 2008/5/19 Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >>
> >> just to be clear ... they have the right to get all your personal data
> >> from your laptop without any paper, like court order? damn ...
> >
> > Looks that way. And if you refuse to give the keys, they
> > can send you back and never need to justify it. Current
> > advice for people handling confidential data is to cross
> > the border with a clean Laptop and to get the data afterwards
> > over the Internet. Wipe it securely before crossing the border
> > again or destroy and leave the HDD behind.
> >
> > Damn, traveling to the US is getting to be more and more of a
> > pain. No surprise their tourism revenue is way down.
> >

> well, I think I will dd disk and reinstall Slackware before I start my
> journey ... and use VPN for the rest.
> a few years ago, I would be "very ready" to take the time and argue
> with these border cops ... but not today, it does not sound as a good
> idea in these days.

You cannot argue. Their mindset (and that of their administration)
is that they have the supreme power, can do what they please, and
that makes them safe. So no arguing, as they know it all.
(Demonstrating the invalidity of these assumptions on their part
is left as an easy exercise to the reader....)

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,   Dipl. Inform.,  CISSP    ---    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----