Re: Re: Security against DRAM attacks

Private message, forward as you please, didn't seem to warrant further
discussion on the list.

Arno Wagner wrote:
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:45:14AM -0800, Bill Broadley wrote:
Do today's CPUs allow for pinning a small amount of data in cache? Say 16 bytes or whatever is needed for an encryption key?

No. There is no structure for that. Caches do not work this way.

After further research looks like CPU caches do worth that way for some CPUs, alas not the common desktop ones.

You could put crypto-keys into CPU registerts. But for numerous reasons this is a very bad idea. And it would not help either.

Why not? How do you propose that anyone with a can of freon and a spare laptop could read a register from inside a CPU without cooperation from the OS?

Seems like it would be significantly harder to remove a CPU (especially from a laptop) and that CPUs likely initialize the cache when power is provided. y

That way the key is never in memory, cache size is reduced by a trivial amount, and the key would be significantly harder to recover.

They key would still be in memory, as it can be derived from the
cipher-setup. Also your "significantly harder" is pure conjecture.

Er, not sure why, I understand a fair bit of what is involved, I'm open to
why this would be true.

Would you people please stop the half-backed suggestions and
get a grip? This is not a major issue and it is not a surprise either!

Sure, agreed. It's been well known for decades, it's common to see a frame buffer for instance after a power cycle. I didn't think it was a major problem, but if it was just a few lines of code why not. Seems like such things are fairly common. ssh-agent for instance pins memory to avoid ending up in swap. Not that swap attacks are common, or that if someone can read the
binary contents of your swap that you don't have other problems as well... but
why not?

IBM fixed this problem by putting the key inside a TPM chip that has a temp
sensors and has no mechanism to allow for reading the key (it sits between the
CPU and the disk).

My java ring/ibutton does this by keeping the key inside a tamper resistant shell that detects penetration and cold and has a local power source to implement a quick overwrite if it detects an attempt to read it's memory.

I know the via c3 has some AES encryption with 128,192, and 256 bit keys, not sure where the key is stored, but certainly seems reasonable to think it's not in ram.

Also when Ed Felton writes that "he could easily", then this does still not mean that your average industrial spy has
a chance. If your attacker is above average, disk-encryption

Sure. If properly motivated I think I could manage it, I suspect you could as well. Sure munging large binary images looking for signatures related to a key isn't easy. My original comment was mainly, is this easy... maybe it's
worth it.  Alas common CPUs don't support it... so it's probably not.

as the only protection of a running (!) system is obviously
not enough. No competent security expert should be surprised
by that.

Sure. Although you could also argue that without physical security why bother with dm-crypt since the next time the key is used it could be stolen.

Certainly there are other attacks like:
FireWire Memory Dump of a Windows XP Computer: A Forensic Approach

This is not a new problem, the paper just puts some
concrete numbers of an attack that everybody with the right knowledge expected to be feasible anyways.

Right, so more people know about it, so the barrier to it's use is lower. So a larger population of less clued people might attempt it. Someone might even sell the tool that finds the key for you. The computer forensics seems to be growing rather quickly to server the ever increasing needs of governments and law enforcement. There are certainly tools to crack all the poor encryptions out there (which there are many) from lotus-1-2-3 on up.

So in any case if there's a way to keep the key in a relatively secure place
that isn't trivially removed or read through a firewire port I think it should be considered. Ideally everyone would have the ibm tpm chip for a much higher degree of security where you can't read the key, only write a new one, at least without significant magic beyond the means of mere code jockies.