Re: problems to mount softraid5

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 22:54:33 +0100,
  Arno Wagner <wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I definitely do not remember seeing that in RFC822 or RFC2822 and my viwer
> (less and emacs for editing) does not support it. Is this a MIME option?
> If so, then a MIME wrapper is also needed. Or is this some "HTML-body
> without proper encapsulation" thing?

Yes, it is part of MIME not email as such.

> Looking for "format=flowed", led me to RFC2646 (which incidentially
> mentions "hotile user reaction at the receiving end" when using other
> things than preformatted text in email). It does also mention a
> phenomenon called "embarrassing line breaks" when using more than 80
> columns.  RFC2646 says that "flowed" SHOULD not go past the 79 column
> mark when viewed without reformatting and seems to indicate that
> "flowed" is a parameter-option to the MIME type Text/Plain. In that
> case, proper MIME encapsulation is needed AFAIK. It is certainly
> needed or at last the 80 column limit needs to be respected for me or
> it will trigger the "hostile user reaction at the receiving end".

I forgot that you could use continuation lines as well, and that is a good
idea. Usually that's all handled for you by the email client.

> Sorry to nit-pick, but I had rather significant problems reading the
> original problem description and the problem does sound interesting.

I can believe that. I hate html only email as I think html viewers are
significantly more likely to have exploitable bugs than the builtin
text viewer in an email client. I have also seen cases where the text/plain
part corresponding to a text/html part in a multipart/alternative part
had problems using incorrect character codes or other poor equivalence
between the parts.

Format=flowed is nice when you aren't using an 80 column output window.
The lines get scaled to the actual width, which looks nicer.