Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cryptsetup luksOpen on USB-Disk

    > Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:49:43 +0100 (CET)
    > From: karsten gerber <karstengerber@xxxxxxxx>

    > Hello again,
    > i tried with

    > cryptsetup --key-file key-file luksOpen /dev/sdb7 usbdisk

    > on both - desktop and desktop, still with the same results: success on desktop failure on laptop (key-file copied via scp).

    > any new ideas?

I came in late to this whole thread, so I'm not sure if something else
might have mooted this test, but it's quick to try:

Read the first megabyte from the USB device on the desktop with dd:
  dd if=/dev/sdb7 of=my-first-megabyte.dd bs=1M count=1

Do the same from the laptop.

cmp the two files.

I'm wondering if perhaps the laptop just isn't seeing the right bits
at all.  Is it possible that the two machines are seeing -different-
partitions on the USB stick or something and claiming they're the
same?  Maybe one of them has some sort of weird mount options that
are doing byte-reversals for the wrong architecture or something?

(If you're patient and the first test succeeds, maybe try reading the
entire device from each location?  Though presumably any LUKS-specific
stuff will be very early in the device.  If you don't care to know
where any mismatch might be, you could just md5sum it in both
locations and compare the hashes.)