Re: NO corruptions in the dm-crypt layer 2.6.22

Yes, for this caches are a nuisance. They also make it hard to
verify backups that are smaller than main memory. The way to go
for device testing is to make sure your test-files are larger
than the available memory. You can also limit memory via boot
option. Another thing I found wise to check in case of corruption
is main memory. 24 hours of memtest86+ usually do the trick.

Side note on USB: I used to have an USB cable (!) that caused
corruption with some devices. It seems sensible checksum
usage never made it into USB or at least not into mandatory
adoption.

Apart from that, I don't feel that my time has been wasted.
To know about a possible source of corruption is always
interesting. And dm-crypt just got a bit more trustworthy,
because it was scrutinized carefully.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dipl. Inform., CISSP --- CSG, ETH Zurich, arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----