Meaning of the --offset option in cryptsetup

Hello,

I'm wondering how the --offset works in cryptsetup?

For exemple, Why this doesn't work:
root@ubu:/tmp# losetup -o 20 /dev/loop0 /tmp/25M
root@ubu:/tmp# echo "pass" | cryptsetup -c aes create 25 /dev/loop0
root@ubu:/tmp# mke2fs /dev/mapper/25
<...>
root@ubu:/tmp# cryptsetup remove 25
root@ubu:/tmp# losetup -d /dev/loop0
root@ubu:/tmp# losetup  /dev/loop0 /tmp/25M
root@ubu:/tmp# echo "pass" | cryptsetup -c aes -o 20 create 25 /dev/loop0
root@ubu:/tmp# mount -t ext2 /dev/mapper/25 /mnt/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/25,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

In the first case, I jump 20 bytes in the creation of the loop, and use it
with cryptsetup.
In the second case, I use the loop from the beginning, then I jump 20 bytes
before doing any encryption.
So the 21byte should be the same? So why this doesn't work?

how ths -o option works? Am I missing something?

thanks

Eurolines : Voyagez au meilleur prix : http://www.alinto.com/pub/