Re: Corruptions in the dm-crypt layer 2.6.22

I don't know does this help, but I have a partly similar configuration
as you do with kernel 2.6.22.6 and I have no problems at all.

I have 2x RAID5 with LUKS and and LVM all over it and it is running
without any problems (Slackware 11.0).

M.

2007/11/3, Clemens Fruhwirth <clemens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> We might have some corruption issues for dm-crypt.
>
> I recently switched to an LVM setup that is backed by a single
> physical volume accessed via dm-crypt. I have seen strange corruptions
> with cryptsetup, incompletely written headers that were reproducible
> 4/5 of the time.
>
> I blamed the fact that I had orphaned mappings to the corrupting
> device (left overs of temporary-cryptsetup-mapping). The upcoming
> version of cryptsetup will require exclusive access to the underlying
> device and also trap ctrl-c's so that these mappings are
> removed. After hacking these sanity checks into cryptsetup, this thing
> went away. But it doesn't look like that this was the thing to blame.
>
> Yesterday I renamed the LVM volume (vgrename), and after that the LVM
> header was corrupted. LVM is in the same position as cryptsetup
> (although it does not know). cryptsetup sets up a temporary mapping
> and opens this raw block dev to write headers. LVM gets a block device
> and also writes header by opening the raw block device. So these
> positions are identical when you hand an encrypted volume to LVM as
> physical volume.
>
> I neither have a reproducible test case, only the observation that
> things didn't happen that way in 2.6.20 (2.6.21 was affected too,
> sorry it's too long ago I can't remember the setup details precisely).
>
> I have the strong suspicion that your LUKS disk might DIE due when it
> trying to touch the header and only a corrupted header version is
> written. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to look at this at the
> moment. I suspect this is some kind of race (yeah fun to debug!).
>
> This message should only serve as warning that you might not want to
> go for any kernels more recent than 2.6.20 with LUKS. Sorry for the
> ultra-vague information.
>
> Christophe, Alasdair: has anything crossed your way that might explain
> this/looks familiar?
> --
> Fruhwirth Clemens - http://clemens.endorphin.org

Glauben heißt nicht wissen wollen, was wahr ist ... Nietzsche