add loop-AES compatible key setup options to cryptsetup?

Hi,

SUSE Linux used to ship a losetup with loop-AES patches. For 10.3
we'd like to stay closer to upstream util-linux-ng and get rid of
such paches. In order for users to still be able to mount their old
encrypted volumes dm-crypt/crypsetup must be able to handle them.
That works just fine for the majority of volumes as they are just
twofish-cbc-null with sha512 passphrase hash. There are also volumes
around that use the 'itercountk' option of loop-AES' losetup though.
That means the passphrase hash additionally needs to be encrypted
using aes. I wonder whether to implement that method directly in
cryptsetup or whether to write a separate program like hashalot that
can be used to pipe the binary key into cryptsetup. The former is
certainly more convenient for users whereas the latter is less
intrusive and likely easier to implement. Any opinions on that?

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel