Re: Yeah, so I lost my password, but there's more to it than that. Is all hope lost?

Corbin Simpson wrote:
Odds are I'm going to get flamed beyond recognition, but I need to ask,
anyway.

I have a Gentoo fileserver, and it has two LUKS drives in it. (The root
is on a different, third drive.) The first drive is a 80GB PATA, which
has three filled key slots, and I know one of the passphrases for that
drive.

The other is a 500GB SATA drive, and it only has one passphrase, which I
cannot remember. Embarrassing, ya? The funny thing is, I do remember
some things about it:

* It is ext3
* It was only filled up to about 250 or so GB
* Its passphrase matched one of the two unknown passphrases on the other
drive

Searching through swap occurred to me, but the server is never under
enough load to use any of it. I would mount a dictionary attack, as odds
are fairly good that it's a wordlist password, but I do not have any
tools for it and I am still fairly in the dark as to how the entire
system works. I have tried every password left for me, and every
password in my memory. I am at my wit's end.

I did not want to bother this list with one sysadmin's trifles, but
there are irreplaceable documents on that drive, and at the least, I
would like to be able to recover them. (If I ever get back in, first
thing, I'm setting another key slot.)

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

~ C. Simpson
---
There is no such thing as a smart person; there are only people who
don't immediately appear to be imbeciles.

My superior retrieved the password from the previous sysadmin. Sorry to
have wasted your time.

~ C. Simpson
---