Can't log in graphically on new kernel

Hello

I am running Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy.  I am using cryptsetup and libpam-mount to
automatically mount a LUKS volume stored in a file with my login password when I
log in.

Everything is working fine on 2.6.17.11, the kernel that comes with Ubuntu.

I compiled a newer kernel, 2.6.18, and I made sure that dm_crypt would be
compiled as a module and AES support was turned on.  With the new kernel
however, I can log in at a terminal and the volume mounts (so cryptsetup and
libpam-mount are working), but I cannot log in graphically.

When I log in graphically, I get a blank screen and I am returned back to the
login screen.  However, I know cryptsetup is working with the new kernel because
it mounts just fine when I log in from a terminal, and I can create/access LUKS
volumes just fine.

If I reboot and select the older kernel, graphical log in works again, so I'm
sure  there is something I'm missing with the new kernel.

I thought cryptsetup was a userspace utility so I don't think I need to
recompile it for the new kernel, do I?

Thanks in advance