Re: Re: why init crypto partition with random data?

Ahh, I have been going under the assumption that the encryption
algorithms being used are not vulnerable to known plaintext attacks. I
think this to be reasonable,
if it's not I'm skeptical that prefilling a partition with
pseudorandom data is going to help much at all (one can still take
guesses at known plaintext in the same way as if you didn't prefill).

Good point regarding knowing something about the structure of the
files, I can imagine one working out the number of files, and
approximate sizes. How doable this is with filesystem X is certainly
beyond me.
And the accuracy of such information is a guestimate at best, maybe I
had 20 1gb temp files, then deleted them and now the filesystem
contains only a single 1kb jpeg. I can't see how one could tell the
difference.

On 2/23/07, junk <junk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
> My two cents:
>

> I personally think that page should be reworded.
> "This makes breaking the passphrase so much harder" Says who?
>

> Overwriting the previous contents of the HD does have some value
> regarding secure deletion IMHO, just not very much - someone can't
> just run `strings /dev/sda` after you've zeroed out a hard drive,
> rather they need some specialized hardware and skills.
>

> As for writing random data to the disk for the purposes of obscuring
> the ciphertext location:
>
> So what if they do know the exact boundaries of the ciphertext? The
> ciphertext doesn't need to be kept secret. That's the whole idea of
> ciphertext.

That's true only if the plaintext is genuinely unknown. This is not the
case for filesystem data - it contains many elements that are pretty
predicatable. Not overwriting the disk with random data before creating
an encrypted file system on it might give an attacker useful information
about the boundaries between unused portions of the disk and files
system structures and the files themselves. This in turn could be used
to mount a known plaintext attack, particularly if the attacker knows
your operating system/distribution/file system type

-- jeek