Re: why init crypto partition with random data?

Hi,

first if you use dmcrypt or any other disk encryption the data you
write to the disk is encrypted.
This also means that empty disk space does not contain crypto data which tells
an attacker at least how much disk space on your crypto disk is used and, most
important, he can also identify the ciphertext "blocks" and eventually mount
e.g. statistical attacks on them.

Anothing thing is that why a perfect encryption algorithm should have it's
output equally distributed there are some deviations from that with some real
life applications (especially the chaining modes can be dangerous).
Have a look at the different cipher block chaining modes, the wikipedia
article also contains an example of non equally distributed ciphertext in the
now possibly obsolete ECB chaining mode.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cipher_block_chaining

Now, if you fill up wour disk with good random data, it will be very hard to
identify the ciphertext blocks since they look like random data.
Thus the attacker does not even know the ciphertext ;)

greets,
stefan