Re: Is there write barrier support in dm-crypt?

Am Freitag, den 15.12.2006, 11:41 -0600 schrieb Bruno Wolff III:

> I am currently using the write barrier support in ext3 and software raid
> (raid 1) and was wondering if I added dm-crypt into the mix, if I would
> still get the same guaranties for write barriers?

For pre-2.6.19 this definitely works, as dm-crypt passes the requests
through unmodified (except for changing the data, not the ordering in
any way).

But with 2.6.19 writes are passed through a workqueue. The more I think
about this, the more I get to the conclusion that on SMP systems the
ordering could get changed and barrier requests arrive in the wrong
order. With multiple CPUs there are multiple worker threads, which could
run encryption for write requests in parallel and thus cause the
requests arrive at underlying device in a different order. This should
by addressed.