From: Zenon Panoussis [mailto:oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 1:48 PM
To: dm-crypt@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Question for newbie

Bates, Bob wrote:

> >> # cryptsetup remove test201
> >> Error: Could not remove /dev/mapper/test201, still in use?

>> Check what's holding it and kill it:

>> lsof /dev/mapper/test201
>> kill -9 <offending_process_PID>

> Doesn't appear to be anything holding it lsof returns nothing.

Did you do it as above? When I try it, 'lsof |grep /dev/mapper'
returns nothing, but 'lsof /dev/mapper/hda4' returns a huge list
starting with

COMMAND     PID  USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE    SIZE    NODE NAME
startkde   4109 zenon  cwd    DIR  253,0   22528 1130497 /home/zenon

FAM/gamin is a possible culprit, try killing it if it's running.
If not that, perhaps 'rmmod dm_crypt' could give a clue as to what's
holding it.

What does 'dmsetup info /dev/mapper/test201' say? I have no clue
whether 'dmsetup remove_all' would manage better where cryptsetup
fails, but it's worth trying.

> This is a new disk, all we did was allocate it, encrypt it,
> put a file on it, reboot.

You might get to the point where you just nuke it and start over ;)