Re: dm-crypt freezes system

Hello,

Sean Durkin schrieb:
> Sean Durkin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just installed a new linux box with the latest Ubuntu release. On this
>> machine the system freezes (i.e. mouse pointer stalls, sound output
>> stops...) at regular intervals when data is written to partitions
>> encrypted using dm-crypt. I did some research and found that this used
>> to be a problem in Linux 2.6.4 and you either had to upgrade your kernel
>> or renice pdflush by hand to fix the problem.

I am experiencing the same problem, but using Fedora Core 6 with Kernel
2.6.18-1.2849.fc6. I already had that problem with FC 5 and can not
point it to a specific kernel version anymore, though I didn't have it
in when I started encrypting my disk back in February or March 2006.

>> Ubuntu comes with kernel 2.6.17, and I checked the sources, pdflush is
>> niced to priority 0, so that fix shouldn't be neccessary. I tried
>> renicing pdflush up to +19, that did not change anything, so the problem
>> must be somewhere else.
>>
>> The problem does not occur when writing to non-encrypted partitions, so
>> I doubt it's hardware-related.

I thought at first of it being a hardware problem, too, that's why I
didn't look at the kernel or the software in the first place. Should
have done that :(

>> Any ideas? Any pointers where else I should look?
>
> OK, it looks like now kjournald is the "culprit". On my old system with
> Linux kernel 2.6.14 it has a proces priority of 0, in this Ubuntu
> release it's nice'd to -5. If I re-nice it to 0, there are no more
> hangs. This priority setting must be new in this kernel version...

Didn't work for me. Still had those system freezes.

As I am in an important phase at university right now I just can not
afford to have my laptop freezing all the time, so I switched back to
unencrypted partitions for now... :( I already filed a bug in Redhat's
(Fedora's) Bugzilla. For the time being I hope, it will be fixed in the
next kernel.

Thanks for the hints, though, now I do at least know at which part of
the system to look.

Bye,
Dominik