cryptsetup luksFormat - Command failed

    Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:18:36 +0200
    From: mario <ml@xxxxxxxxx>

    Hello List,
    > > Are you sure? (Type uppercase yes): yes
    > > Command failed.root@linux:~#
    > >

    > > How do i start debugging this problem?
    > >
    > do what you are told :)
    > recognizing the word "uppercase" should be the first debugging step ;)

    Oh no... i am SOOOOO sorry! hehe. How stupid am i? :P

    I kept running into diffucult problems all night long and then i must
    have totally ignored that uppercase thing :P

In your defense, I ran into -exactly- the same problem---not the
-first- time I used dmcrypt (because I was going slowly and paying
attention to every little thing), but the second or third time I
was configuring a machine---because I was following my notes and
theoretically knew what I was doing.

However, after two or three failures, I -finally- noticed the word
"uppercase" in the prompt.  But it was still pretty irritating and
cost me a few minutes, essentially needlessly.  Software shouldn't
make its users grit their teeth.

I would suggest two things, both of which would be trivial to
implement:
(a) Make the error message say:
	Are you sure? (Type UPPERCASE YES):
    ...which is much more likely to get your attention, and
(b) Make the failure message be:
	Command aborted because you didn't type YES in UPPERCASE
    ...instead of an inscrutable "Command failed." that causes
    people to go off looking for some subtle step they missed.
    This is especially important for non-native speakers of the
    language used in the interface (always English?), who might
    be even more likely to miss the word "uppercase".

I haven't (yet) looked at the source, but if this is more than a
two-line patch, I'd be fairly surprised.