Re: cryptsetup-luks 1.0.4 is out/GPL3 poll

Clemens Fruhwirth wrote:
> GPL3: I would like to change the cryptsetup-luks license to GPL3
> including the anti-DRM provisioning. I share the worries of FSF that
> DRM is harmful to the free software movement and the users' freedom in
> general. I do not share the views of a small influencal group of Linux
> kernel developers that recently published their no-GPL3
> statement. Therefore, it is even more important (to me) to limit Linux
> encryption technology for DRM use at user space.
>
> Before I start to dissect the legal situation of cryptsetup-luks, I
> would like to receive a thumbs-up/no-go from recent contributors for
> this intended license change to GPL3 (no in-depth GPL3 discussion
> intended, as the license isn't finished at all).

Though no "direct" contributor but being the author of the x86_64 AES
kernel code and though I am against DRM, too, I'm still refusing to have
this kind of stuff in a license. There's (at least for Germany) some
legal complications which won't allow GPLv3 as it is for certain
situations (note: IANAL). It seems, however, that GPLv3 is U.S. centric
in its whole design which simply means I won't support it.

You can change your license to whatever you want to as it is userspace
vs. kernelspace but I would ask you to think a bit more on how this
license is (currently) constructed.
--
Andreas Steinmetz                       SPAMmers use robotrap@xxxxxxxx