Re: Create a Volume encrypted using a key-file

On 06/10/2006 Frederico Madeira wrote:
>    How can i encrypt a partition using a key-file and a pass-phrase ??

you could use any method to encrypt a key. openssl and gnupg are only
two possibilities.

>    When try mount this partition, is needed the pass-phrase and the key-file
>    in the dir specified on creation of encrypted volume.
>
>    My objective is put in an pendriver a key-file, so every time that i like
>    to mount that partition i need to insert that pendriver with key-file.
>
>    How can i generate a key-file use gpg ??

create a key, for example this way:

$ dd if=/dev/random of=keyfile bs=1k count=50

then use this 'keyfile' for disk encryption

to encrypt the keyfile, you could use:

$ gpg -o keyfile.gpg -r <YOUR_GPG_ID> --encrypt keyfile

then purge keyfile, and keep keyfile.gpg.

everytime you want to start cryptsetup, you'll firest have to decrypt
keyfile.gpg.

 jonas