Re: Listing encryption keys is a Bad Idea

Hello,

> I was shocked to learn that the encryption keys for dm-crypt volumes are
> visible to root:

You are right :- I am equally shocked that the kernel-stored keys
are available to root.  It is not impossible to make a crack with
root privileges, because there are so many things that need to
be done at root level, and far from all users know precisely when
and why.

If I had it my way (and I probably won't) then that part of the
kernel memory dumps would also be overwritten with zeroes.  In
the same line of though, I would suggest making the key unreadable
in the dump.

I agree visible keys are great aids to all sorts of useful
purposes, but they make it _very_ easy for unknowledgeable
crackers to have their way on a system; getting them out of
a kernel dump requires more skill and more interaction with
the file.

Calling this security through obscurity is just as fair as
calling root-only access to keys an obscure form of security.
(This is intentionally an equation, in the hope to bypass a
 debate about when something is obscure security.)

What is the use of setting up an encrypted filesystem?  It is
to avoid that a disk is accessible when the trusted system
isn't running and others can gain root access.  But in this
situation, it is also easy to install a bit of code that taps
the key from the friendly listing from "dmtable swap", and
learn the encryption key for swap or file system.

The only disk encryption scheme that works somewhat is when the
key is kept outside the encrypting fs and inserted only (through
a smart card, a keyboard or whatever) when the right system is
running.  It only works reliably if this key is passed straight
from the point of entrance to the place it is needed, without
sending it elsewhere, and without tapping points.  This is only
possible if the Linux kernel dump hides the key, as well as the
dmcrypt interface.

Having said that, disk encryption generally seems to end up in
a loop, where it has to rely on unreliable things, so that the
encryption is rarely as strong as cryptographers want it to be.

Best wishes,

Rick van Rein.