Re: Possible to utilise drives from broken OS?

On 7/26/06, Arno Wagner <wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]
> dm-crypt is enabled in the kernel, as is the cipher used.
> I've removed the old packages, and reinstalled in the following order,
the
> packages below:
> devmapper-1.02.07.orig, libgpg-error-1.3, libgcrypt-1.2.2, and
> cryptsetup-0.1
> The only configuration I've given to these packages is --prefix.
>
> >I've installed the requisite packages, but when I attempt to
`cryptsetup
> >> create name /dev/device` I get the error "Command failed: Invalid
> >argument".
> >
> >That is not a password error. I don't know what causes the error,
> >but maybe your cryptsetup is a bit old? Or you do not have the
> >/dev/mapper directory? Or you are attemting this not as root?
>

> /dev/mapper exists, as does console inside of it.
> I am running as root.  I've also tested this on a spare partition, and
> receive the same result.

Ok, devinitvely an issue with the cryptsetup installation or
the kernel. Maybe you need to load some module(s) with the
kernel you are using? I don't use kernel modules, since
I like monolitic kernels, so I would not know....

I too dislike modules, and everything is compiled into the kernel.  In fact,
I even went back and added every cipher just to be sure.  It's all there.

Any other ideas, per chance?  I appreciate your help.

I am running with a 2.6.17.5 Kernel and cryptsetup-luks-1.0.1.
No issues. Here is what /dev/mapper looks like on my system.
Have a look at the ownership and permissions:

oot /dev/mapper>ll
total 32
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 Jul 26 16:50 ./
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root   28672 Jul 26 16:43 ../
brw-r-----  1 root root 253,  0 Jul 26 16:50 c1
crw-------  1 root root  10, 63 Jul 26 16:43 control
root /dev/mapper>

My permissions are the same as yours.

/proc/crypto lists

name         : aes
driver       : aes-generic
module       : kernel
priority     : 100
type         : cipher
blocksize    : 16
min keysize  : 16
max keysize  : 32

and

name         : aes
driver       : aes-i586
module       : kernel
priority     : 200
type         : cipher
blocksize    : 16
min keysize  : 16
max keysize  : 32

One more idea: If you give cryptsetup the '-v' option,
does it tell you more?

Arno

Actually, passing -v provides less information in the form of: `Command
failed.`

Could this be a PAM issue?  I don't notice anything in the security logs,
and I am running as root.

And again, I'm running from-source packages of all the required packages.
Would you mind providing the versions of your cryptsetup, devmapper,
libgcrypt, libgpg-error packages?  Maybe something along the lines isn't
playing nicely.

Thanks again for your help.

--
Arno Wagner, Dipl. Inform., CISSP --- CSG, ETH Zurich,
wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx