Re: plausible deniability with LUKS ?

On Sun, 21 May 2006 20:29:24 +0200, Stefan Schönleitner wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just got aware of the FreeOTFE project[1]  that seems to
>be somewhat based on LUKS (or at least it is compatible with it).
>The software runs on Window$ and seems to offer plausible deniability:
[snip]
>Unfortunately, reading the documentation, I found out that this plausible
>deniability relies on the following (pretty weak) theory:
>
>"Plausible deniability" in OTFE systems is largely based on the theory that you
>can claim that your volume files are not encrypted data; you don't know what
>they are - you can't be expected to know every operation that your OS carries
>out! Perhaps it's some corrupt data that the system recovered at some stage?

Not entirely true; if you read the paragraph following the above in
FreeOTFE's documentation, you'll see that I agree with you - it *is*
pretty improbable, which is exactly why FreeOTFE doesn't rely on this.

>Considering that laws seem to get more and more restrictive (e.g.
>Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA)" [3]) and there is a
>possibility that one is sentenced to up to 2 years if you do not release the
>decryption keys [4], it is IMHO more and more important to have a cryptographic
>filesystem with support for plausible deniability.
>
>Will LUKS/dm-crypt offer plausible deniability in future relases ?
>Is it planned (maybe similar to truecrypt) ?

LUKS cannot offer this in itself as LUKS volumes are readily
identifiable for what they are by the standard LUKS header. OTOH,
dm-crypt doesn't have any such header...

>I'm currently using truecrypt with its support for hidden volumes.
>Unforntunately, a hidden volume has to reside in a non-hidden volume where FAT
>is the only possible filesystem.
>Since using FAT on a LINUX system is suboptimal, I'm still looking for something
>else.
>LUKS would definitely be the best solution since there is full
>linux support and with patching there is even support for hardware
>accelleration[5][6].

"Plausible deniability" should certainly be possible with
LUKS/dm-crypt, by using a LUKS/dm-crypt "outer" volume, initilized
appropriately and using dm-crypt to create "inner" volumes at suitable
offsets, as needed.

Any filesystem may be used for either the "outer" and "inner" volumes,
with "inner" volumes being further nested, if required.

--
Sarah Dean
FreeOTFE site: http://www.FreeOTFE.org/

For information on SecureTrayUtil, Shredders, On-The-Fly Encryption
(OTFE) systems, etc, see the URLs above.