Re: Cryptsetup return cade

On 20/05/2006 Dick Middleton wrote:
> In the normal course of Debian sid updating I've noticed the behaviour
> of cryptsetup has changed.  Since I don't update my initrd file very
> often I can't be sure of the version actually in use but I currently
> have 1.0.2+1.0.3-rc3-1 installed on my system.

try 'cryptsetup --version' to verify that the binary really belongs to
1.0.2+1.0.3-rc3-1.

> What I see is the return code always being set to zero even when an
> incorrect passphrase is entered.  Previously an incorrect passphrase
> would set the return code to non-zero.
>
> Is this a change that's passed me by or is it a bug - known or otherwise.
>
> Can someone give me a heads-up.

do you use plain dm-crypt ('cryptsetup create') or luks ('cryptsetup
luksOpen')? cryptsetup create doesn't recognize if you enter a wrong
password, and therefore cannot return a nonzero exitcode.
cryptsetup luksOpen indeed exits with code 255 if you enter a wrong
passphrase. but i tested 1.0.3-1, which is not in debian/unstable yet.

try
# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/device name; echo "RETURNCODE: $?"
to see which returncode cryptsetup gives.

if the code is always 0, you should wait for cryptsetup 1.0.3-1 to enter
debian/unstable.

 jonas