Re: Command failed: Incompatible libdevmapper

Hi,

I had the same problem when upgrading to a newer (custom) kernel version on
debian.
I'm using a physical encrypted harddisk partition where LVM2 with my
partitions (including root) reside in.

After debugging the initrd.img I created with mkinitrd I found out that it
creates an initrd.img with devfs.
Since my newer kernel (2.6.16) does not support devfs, cryptsetup could not find
/dev/mapper/control and failed with the same message
	"Command failed: Incompatible libdevmapper 1.02.03 (2006-02-08)(compat) and
	kernel driver".
Also ensure that /proc is mounted.

(If that solution doesn't work for you, you might consider including strace in
your initrd.
It will help you debugging cryptsetup and hopefully allow you to determine the
error.)

I then used mkinitramfs to create the initial ramdisk which worked just fine for
me, though I had to write some hooks and additional scripts until it worked.
(mkinitramfs doesn't have cryptsetup support for now).

I'm considering to update my wiki entry at
http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=EncryptedLVM2Root
to include the mkinitramfs solution..

I guess that the error
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev dm-0."
is normal if your root device is not ext3 (I get the same "error").
IMHO the kernel tries different filesystems to mount the root filesystem.
If you have reiserfs on your root device (like me) it will first try to mount
root with ext3, if that fails it tries to mount it with reiserfs or other
filesystems.

Though my problems were slightly different to yours, I hope that I could help ;)

greets,
Stefan