properties to describe a rotary encoder

Hello,

there is already a driver for rotary encoders described in
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/input/rotary-encoder.txt. This however
is not suitable to describe the device I have here for two reasons:

First the driver can only make use of 2 gpio lines, while the device
here has 4 lines, so I have 16 sectors instead of only 4. And the
second difference is that my encoder has a detend for each sector while
the driver only supports "half-period" and "full-period" (default) mode.
These names really only make sense for the 2 line case and mean the
encoder has detends in 2 or 1 sector respectively.

So I'm thinking about how to generalize the description to allow to add
support for "my" device.

For the added gpio lines it's easy, that's just allowing more than two
gpios for the "gpios" property.

Currently there is a property "rotary-encoder,steps" that describes the
number of detends in a full turnaround. So if we stick to "steps" to
describe detends, maybe something like "sectors-per-step" (with a
default of 4) would be needed to describe what "half-period" is now.
Does this make sense? Maybe someone has a better suggestion?

I'll start implementing that now, but give you time to think about a
good name/scheme already. :-)

Feedback welcome.

Best regards
Uwe