Re: st_fdma: Firmware filename in DT?

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Lee Jones <lee.jones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > The "rproc-%s-fw", where %s == driver name, is only a fall-back.  The
>> > RProc driver is welcome to supply a different firmware name if it
>> > desires.  This is where I think a generic 'firmware' property would be
>> > of use.
>>
>> The firmware file name is agreed on between the device driver and the
>> file system, so encoding the linux driver name in it seems appropriate.
>>
>> Generally speaking, I'd say a good policy would be to try basing
>> the firmware name on the "compatible" property strings. That property
>> already contains a hierarchical list of models, which makes it particularly
>> easy to have firmware files for specific models or those that are shared
>> across multiple variations if necessary. Just ask for the most specific
>> compatible string first and try the more specific compatible strings
>> (with an appropriate prefix and/or postfix added by the driver) until
>> a file is found.
>
> It depends what you mean by "basing the firmware name on the
> \"compatible\" property" here.  If you mean actually renaming the
> firmware binary file to match a driver's compatible string, that's
> absolutely out of the question.  Firmwares are not only OS agnostic,
> but are also independent of any H/W description language a particular
> OS or platform might be using.  Using DT'isums to rename these
> binaries is not logical.
>
> However, if you mean simply match on compatible string and supply the
> name from within the driver, that's closer to the mark (as then we can
> at least keep it in-house [kernel]), but it's still not particularly
> practical for the aforementioned reasons mentioned by Peter earlier.
>
> Why not just create a new 'firmware' property?  Simples! [0]

Someone give me some evidence that other OS's use or will use the same
names. Does *BSD use linux-firmware would be enough. With the
complaints I get that bindings are just Linux driver properties, I'm
not inclined to take this. Having a filename does imply the OS has a
filesystem and drivers can access the filesystem which may not always
be true.

Rob