Re: [RFC] improve binding for linux,wdt-gpio

On 29-07-15 09:35, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
Hello Guenter,

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 02:21:55PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:33:48PM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
This is just a suggestion up to now, I don't have any code yet to share.

Apart from minor rewording to make the document easier to understand and
less ambiguous the relevant changes are:

  - add an "enable-gpio" property.
    I admit the device I'm currently working with doesn't have this.
    Still I imagine this to be a common hardware property. I added it
    mainly to demonstrate the shortcomings of the existing binding.
  - rename "gpios" to "trigger-gpio"
    This is more descriptive. And given there is "enable-gpio" now, too,
    using plain "gpios" seems wrong.
  - deprecate always-running
    Apart from the description describing the driver behaviour and not
    the device property, always-running only seems to make sense in
    combination with hw_algo = "level" and in reality should only
    invalidate the sentence: "The watchdog timer is disabled when GPIO is
    left floating or connected to a three-state buffer."

always-running is meant to indicate that the watchdog can not be stopped
(meaning a timer has to be used to send keepalives while the watchdog
device is closed). The documentation specifically states that.

	"If the watchdog timer cannot be disabled ..."

How would you express that condition without always-running or a similar
attribute ?  I am also not sure how that relates to hw_algo; I thought
those properties are orthogonal.
For hw_algo = "level" the inactive level of the gpio disables the
watchdog (and resets the counter). So always-running doesn't make sense
for this type.

Of course, 'always-running' _may_ describe driver behavior, but that doesn't
Well in the current state of the binding document we have:

	add this flag to have the driver keep toggling the signal
	without a client.

Sure it is meant to describe a hardware specific property, but it talks
about the driver.

I'd go for these properties then:

	toggle-gpio: the gpio used to stroke the watchdog
	enable-gpio: optional, the gpio to enable and disable the watchdog
	disable-on-tri-state: optional, signals that the watchdog can
		be stopped by setting the trigger-gpio to tri-state.
	compatible, hw_algo and hw_margin_ms: as before.
I think there is no need for a property that signals that the watchdog
is unstoppable. For level-gpio-watchdogs you can do it by setting the
trigger gpio to inactive, and you cannot stop level-gpio-watchdogs
unless enable-gpio or disable-on-tri-state is specified.
If we ever feel the need to describe a gpio watchdog with a input that
starts the device but cannot stop it, I'd suggest to use "start-gpio"
for that one.

I don't see any change in the number of properties required to describe things. So the driver just gets more complicated, especially if you want it to be somewhat backward compatible.

The way you describe how one could get the "always-running" effect doesn't really sound intuitive. It's much easier to just have a property that plainly explains that the watchdog is unstoppable, than that that is the result of combining a bunch of seemingly unrelated properties together to get the driver to do what needs to be done.

have to be the case. There are lots of watchdogs out there which can not be
stopped. Some of them run all the time, others can not be stopped once
started.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. For this driver however I wouldn't expect that
you have a dedicated enable-gpio if you cannot disable the device with it.
For hw_algo = "level" there is probably no device with an enable input
and for hw_algo = "toggle" any sane hardware engineer would simply
enable the watchdog once the first toggle is detected on WDI. (OK,
assuming hardware engineers being sane turned out to be a weak argument
often in the past.)

That gets us into the rat-hole of arguing if property X describes driver
behavior or the hardware, and of rejecting properties because they may
be driver descriptions in some use cases (because 'always-running' can
be set even if the hardware doesn't mandate it, making it driver behavior).
I'd rather not go there.
I think we agree here, that "always-running" is a hardware property.

I'd that "always-running" describes both. The driver must be always stroking (what a nice word) the watchdog because the watchdog is always watching.

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Embedded Products