Re: device tree compiler with overlay support?

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 6:51 PM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 5 May 2015 at 17:18, Michal Suchanek <hramrach@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> where is a device tree compiler that can compile an overlay?
>>
>> The compiler at git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/dtc/dtc.git shrieks
>> there is a syntax error as soon as the /plugin/ tag is present.
>
> ok, so I found a dtc patch here https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/1/4/295
>
> This does not apply cleanly to current DTC but the parts that fail are
> due to cosmetic changes in the code so I went ahead and applied it.

Thanks for the link! That patch indeed requires some manual rework.

> However, the created blob is not what the kernel can accept into
> of_overlay_create so what do I do with the blob to load it?

Use "OF: DT-Overlay configfs interface" from Pantelis?

That depends on "configfs: Implement binary attributes", also from Pantelis,
which requires reverting commit 28444a2bde8d1695i ("configfs_add_file:
fold into its sole caller").

All of the above require manual fixups to apply.

Still have to try the actual loading, new to the overlay game on mainline
kernels (I did use it on boneblack with its original kernel and its overlay
manager).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds