Re: Question for submitting a dt-binding besides an existing one covering enough for our device

Hi Tatsunosuke,

On Wed, Sep 04, 2024 at 06:26:40AM +0000, Tobita, Tatsunosuke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wacom is currently working on to add our dt-binding at
> /Documentation/devicetree/bindings/input/touchscreen.  While doing
> that, we found another dt-binding which was already sufficient to
> detect our device and load the driver for it[1].

You pointed to a whole directory of bindings, based on the context
below I assume you are talking about this:

Documentation/devicetree/bindings/input/hid-over-i2c.yaml

> In this case, what can we do?  hid-over-i2c dt-binding([1]) covers
> information enough for our device to be used under I2C interface.
> Therefore, the difference is seemingly going to be at "description".
> Do we just provide a yaml file containing only the some of the
> headers, such as id, schema, tiltle, and description items to submit
> our dt-binding?

If your controller is fully covered by hid-over-i2c.yaml binding then
I think you just need to add a new compatible to it. We already have
"wacom,w9013" there.

Otherwise follow examples such as:

Documentation/devicetree/bindings/input/elan,ekth6915.yaml
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/input/goodix,gt7375p.yaml

that are also hid-over-i2c devices but require special power up/down
handling.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry