Re: [RFC 1/1] of-fpga-region: Add sysfs interface support for FPGA configuration

On Thu, Aug 01, 2024 at 04:25:42AM +0000, Manne, Nava kishore wrote:
> Hi Yilun,

I assume it is Documentation/devicetree/bindings/fpga/fpga-region.yaml.

No, Non-OF devices don't have to follow the DT binding.

> If so, it may be advantageous to develop a common interface for both OF and non-OF.
> If not, it might be more appropriate to establish distinct interfaces to cater to their specific requirements.

I think each vendor may have specific way for device enumeration, but
that doesn't mean we need distinct user interfaces. For all FPGA
devices, we should avoid the situation that the HW is changed but
system SW knows nothing. So the common needs are:

 - Find out and remove all devices within the fpga region before
   reprograming.
 - Re-enumerate devices in fpga region after reprograming.

I expect the fpga region class could generally enforce a flow for
the reprograming interface. And of-fpga-region could specifically
implement it using DT overlay.

Thanks,
Yilun