Re: Associating nodes with phandles for pci devices

>>> My current problem is that of_find_device_by_node() (called by
>>> dsa_of_probe) can't find the device. After a bit of debugging I can see
>>> that the populated platform bus only goes as far as
>>> /soc/pcie-controller, anything beyond that seems to be missing. I can't
>>> see anything obvious in of_platform_bus_create() that would actually
>>> stop it from continuing down the pcie-controller branch provided the dts
>>> actually enumerates the children.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> The PCI devices are not populated by of_platform_bus_create. Instead,
>> pci_scan_device() calls pci_set_of_node() to set the of_node
>> pointer for each PCI device.
>>
>> This would fail for instance if the root bus does not have a correct
>> of_node pointer.
>>

> Hmm. I instrumented pci_set_of_node and I do see my 2 network devices.
>
> devfn = 00000000
> of_node = bfff3f90 /soc/pcie-controller/pcie@1,0/tg3@01,0
>
> devfn = 00000001
> of_node = bfff4118 /soc/pcie-controller/pcie@1,0/tg3@01,1
>
> So at least that's happening. I guess the problem is that ultimately
> they are devices on the pci bus as opposed to the platform bus and
> of_find_device_by_node() only looks at the platform bus
>
> dev = bus_find_device(&platform_bus_type, NULL, np, of_dev_node_match);
>
> What I might have to do for now is get the DSA driver code to go looking
> on the pci bus if of_find_device_by_node() fails to find the named node.

Could you try these two patches:
https://github.com/ffainelli/linux/commit/f57b2891e6118f5769c9fe17ed07e32def4c7c74
https://github.com/ffainelli/linux/commit/1ccd7b38dddd667a6ef6afe1cc3e9bb8c5599b58

> Florian mentioned making the DSA code use the device driver model which
> would help me but I'm kinda stuck with the kernel version I'm using for
> now at least.

Right, this is still taking a bit more time than I expected, but the
two patches above remove the restriction for the network device to be
backed by a platform_device, so hopefully that can get you going. I
will CC you on the next round of patches so you can keep track of that
progress.
--
Florian