Re: Qualcomm DT bindings and DTS cleanups - tracking community wide

On 06/10/2022 10:21, Johan Hovold wrote:
>> What to track:
>> 1. Which bindings to convert to YAML,
>> 2. Missing compatibles (either entirely or because of missing conversion),
>> 3. `dt_binding_check` warnings (usually connected with 1-2),
>> 4. `dtbs_check` warnings.
>>
>> Rob's bot gives us daily output for 1-4, but how can we track current
>> efforts to avoid duplication of work? Also it would allow people to find
>> tasks for them to get contributions to Linux kernel :). Is anyone in
>> community interested in tracking it together, in a public way?
>
> Is this a real problem that needs fixing? I mean how often does it
> happen that people submit the same YAML conversion for example? Since it
> doesn't take that long to do a conversion, I'm not sure what tracking
> this on some webpage buys us. It's better to just search lore before
> starting a new conversion. Or search the linux-next tree to see what's
> still pending.

In terms of DT bindings conversion to DT schema:
If I were not checking for ongoing work, I would duplicate effort like
~10 times. Few other folks hit it few times, at least. Several bindings
are being converted for ~1 year!

In terms of DTS warnings - it's difficult even to check/search. For what
do you search? Warnings? Pretty often they are not part of commit msg.
By file? Then you might have many, many unrelated search results.

> Similarly for the other points above, as it doesn't take very long to
> add a missing compatible or fix a warning it seems a bit excessive to
> try to track this manually.

True, some are trivial. Some however need fixing the binding which takes
time.

> Perhaps a list of pending conversions or missing compatibles could be
> useful for someone who's short on work, but it's bound to get outdated
> pretty quickly.

Another point is to have the visibility on the amount of work to be
done. But I understand that's maybe topic just for few, e.g. me, so I
can just track stuff for myself.

>> If so, where?
>> A. elinux.org (needs some formatting when pasting the output from tools)
>> B. gitlab pages/wiki (maybe scripts could parse tools and create the page?)
>> C. gitlab dedicated repo - some text file
>> D. Linux kernel TODO file (might be difficult to keep updated)
>> E. kernel.org wiki (requires LF accounts, AFAIK, a bit pain to edit; I
>> have it for Exynos but I don't find it usable -
>> https://exynos.wiki.kernel.org/todo_tasks)
>>
>> I am leaning towards Gitlab pages because they could be quite automated
>> - with CI or with scripts.
>>
>> The point would be to list all of tasks (1-4 from the first list), keep
>> it updated with new results, pick/assign tasks and mark as done.
>
> I don't really see the need for more process here, sorry.
>
> If I'm working on support for a new platform and the DT checker warnings
> gets too noisy I may pick some of the low hanging fruit. In the odd
> chance that someone beats me to it, it's not the end of the world.

Thanks for the input!

Best regards,
Krzysztof