Re: Specifying the console device using an alias

Hi Fabio,

On 20 August 2014 10:39, Fabio Estevam <festevam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Simon Glass <sjg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I see that, but linux doesn't use it AFAICT. Are you suggesting
>> that U-Boot should? Or should we use 'u-boot,stdout-path' in /chosen?
>> See my question immediately above about /chosen.
>
> Linux use stdout-path property specified, without linux prefix.
>
> Check for example:
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/arch/arm/boot/dts/imx6qdl-sabresd.dtsi?id=refs/tags/v3.16.1
>
> / {
> chosen {
> stdout-path = &uart1;
> };

OK great. This seems to have happened very recently in Linux. I was
looking at 3.14 but I see that in the current master about half of the
.dts files have droped the 'linux' prefix.

So assuming that the U-Boot console should be the same as Linux, then
it sounds like it is OK to use this feature. That's good enough to get
me going.

Thanks,
Simon