Re: [RFC] MAX_RESERVED_REGIONS hard-coded value

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 12:05 PM Daniele Alessandrelli
<daniele.alessandrelli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a Device Tree with more then 32 reserved memory regions and
> I'm seeing the following error while booting the Kernel:
> [    0.000000] OF: reserved mem: not enough space all defined regions.

How many do you have? Is that DT available somewhere?

> My understanding is that this is due to the hard-coded value of
> MAX_RESERVED_REGIONS in drivers/of/of_reserved_mem.c
>
> Googling around, I found this old discussion [1] in which Miles
> suggests to add a CONFIG_MAX_OF_RESERVED_REGIONS kconfig option to
> configure MAX_RESERVED_REGIONS. Rob replied to Miles' email saying
> that he would prefer MAX_RESERVED_REGIONS to be dynamic. However,
> later in the thread, it looks like making MAX_RESERVED_REGIONS dynamic
> poses some implementation issues [2]. At that point the discussion
> seemed to have stopped.

Not sure what the problem was as there's no code, but I'd guess the
array alloc and populating have to be done later (perhaps in
unflattening).

> Is there any chance for the patch proposed by Miles to be reconsidered?

A kconfig option would still be my 3rd choice after dynamically
allocating the array or just growing the fixed array size.

Rob